Monday, July 10, 2006

I don't watch, don't ask me

I don't watch TV ... or as I usually phrase it, I don't "do" TV.
I can afford it, and I do have a "monitor" (for a couple of things I'll get to in a minute) but I don't have satellite, cable or any other way to pick up channels ... and that's fine with me.
I've given up television before. lt's not hard really, although I will admit, when in a hotel room, I will work that remote for all it's worth ... for about an hour. I don't need it.
The last time I gave up TV - this time - was four years ago. I had become hooked on Turner Classic Movies, so much so that I subscribed to the little magazine that gives the full schedule. I would set my VCR for foreign films, old films, just about any movie I'd never seen, and some I wanted to see again. And that's about all I watched.
Then one day, I came home, hit rewind, and then play, and I got nothing. I checked my channel. There was nothing there, either. Some of the other channels worked, but not TCM.
I gave it a day - cable goes out sometimes - and another - and still nothing, so I called. I learned it was a mistake that I had been getting TCM for three months. A mistake by the installer. Right.
Well, that was the day I told them stop my service. I still get postcards, offering to reinstall, but I recycle the paper. Don't need it. Plenty to do without it. I don't do TV.
I use my monitor for two things: DVDs from time to time; and "Uncharted Waters," the Super Nintendo game, to relax while listening to the St. Louis Cardinals during the season, or music or NPR when the season ends.
I don't have to record anything, rush home to watch something, or turn down another offer to do something so I can go sit in front of the television. I have nothing against those who do. There is entertainment to be had, education, too. I just choose not to do TV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think that's awesome. Oh yeah, thanks for your comment on my blog, here's yours. You're famous John! Keep up the good work.