Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Welcome to Wal-mart --- NOT!!!

Rob Walton, Chairman of the Board
Walmart
702 SW 8th Street
Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Dear Mr. Walton,
Please bring your greeters back.
I just finished reading your father's "Made in America," which gave me a greater appreciation for not only the man, but for the company, and for the Walmart store I visit almost every day.
About the same day I heard greeters would be leaving the front doors from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., I picked up "Made in America" for 50 cents at a Salvation Army thrift store. (Talk about a low price!)
Since the news broke, at my Supercenter #29, I don't think I remember seeing a greeter at all – at any time – and that disappoints me.
As Sam Walton wrote on Page 217, "… the bigger Wal-Mart gets, the more essential it is that we think small." And went on: "If we ever forget that looking a customer in the eye, greeting him or her, and asking politely if we can be of help … then we ought to go in to a different business because we'll never survive this one."
Walmart is the only place (except Waffle House) where I get greeted at the door, and I really like it. Here I am, going into this great big store, but there's always somebody there to greet me. I always reply. It makes me feel good.
I go to Walmart regularly, here, up in Columbia, or to any I find when I travel, and I always know when I cross the parking lot that I'm going to get that big greeting from the company that thinks "small."
I remember years ago when I lived in Northeast Missouri and patronized the Kirksville Walmart, I wrote the manager and suggested a fishbowl where folk could get a chance at a Walmart gift card for bringing in a shopping cart, and I'll be darned if that store didn't do it! Now, they went big, with a glass aquarium, which broke – but that didn't stop them. They went to a smaller bowl on a stool, and the greeter would give you a slip to put your name and address in for the drawing, and thanked you.
I'm still impressed with the response to my suggestion.
Anyway, I hope you consider bringing back the greeters. I always see the kids smile when they get a sticker placed on them. (Now there's just a big roll up by the entrance, but that's like having to award yourself a medal.)

Sincerely,


John
Loyal Walmart customer

PS: Go Hogs!
PSS: The book I'm reading now? Jules Verne's "Journey to the Center of the Earth." On the cover is a big orange circle that reads, "Wal*mart, 2 for $1." Now that was a great idea!

No comments: